1902 Victorian

Bringing our old house out of the disco era and back into the Victorian.

Home | Blog | Kitchen | Entry Hall | Attic | Living + Dining |
Bedrooms | Bathrooms | Exterior | Want List | Links | Town

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I Want Some Answers!

My mom bought Darwin a Maglite this weekend, which could come in handy since we can't seem to locate any of our flashlights. When Darwin was at singing practice last night, I decided to investigate inside the walls.

The only spot where I can access the interior of our walls (without ripping down drywall) is at the pocket doors. Our pocket doors don't stop at the exterior edge of the opening like they're supposed to ... you could keep sliding them all the way to the other side if you wanted. So I pulled out one door a few inches further than it was supposed to go and aimed the Maglite beam inside the wall. To my surprise, the lathe is still there with gobs of white, dust-covered plaster oozing between the slats. Interesting!



Now I'm left to puzzle how the drywall was put up ... was the plaster torn down and the lathe left? But wouldn't that make the drywall stick out too far? I'm confused.

And I can't figure out which parts of the woodwork are original and which aren't. It's pretty obvious none of the crown molding is original ... it was slapped up throughout the house all at the same time. But what about the rest? The wide baseboards in the bedroom seem to match (and match the rest of the house), but surely that big closet sticking out into the room wasn't original?

I wish I could just talk to somebody who KNEW what happened here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home