1902 Victorian

Bringing our old house out of the disco era and back into the Victorian.

Home | Blog | Kitchen | Entry Hall | Attic | Living + Dining |
Bedrooms | Bathrooms | Exterior | Want List | Links | Town

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Lewis & Clark for a Day

Our house, though 102 years old, is the baby on our street. It sits between a house built in the 1840s and one built in the 1830s. The 1840s house is empty at the moment with a sign in the yard designating it "The Gray House," though we've been told it's known in town as the "Steele House." The word is it's for sale, but it's current owners are West Alabama Health and there are issues with selling it ... or something like that.

Anyway, there it is out our northwest-facing windows ... empty, beautiful, its clapboard siding a color that looks gray in some lights and lavendar in others. It called me over there to investigate one evening. Behind it, right next to our fence, is an old barn. On my wanderings, I noticed another barn-like structure probably 50 yards beyond it.

I enticed (OK, wheedled and begged until he gave in) Darwin to come exploring with me. The second barn turned out to not be a barn at all but an abandoned house. A tree had grown up directly in front of the front steps, so it was pretty obvious the place had been empty for quite a while.

Feeling adventurous, we wedged ourselves past the branches and climbed up on the porch. The two front doors were hanging open, so we invited ourselves inside for a look around. The house was a small wood frame structure with asbestos (I think) shingles on the exterior. It consisted of only four rooms - a living room with fireplace, an added on bedroom with its own front door, a kitchen and a bathroom with clawfoot tub. Teenage vandals had painted their names and handprints all over the place in pink. Holes were rotted straight through the ceiling and floor from the leaky roof.

It was a fascinating place. I can't tell how old it was or who might've lived there, though from noting on census records the servants that were often listed next door to the families, I wonder if it wasn't a servant's house. Also, on the 1930 census, MJ's son James was listed as living in a rented house next door to her. So he could've lived there, too.

Inside the barn was a pile of junk that I would've loved to explore, but seeing as this property doesn't belong to us ...

The exterior of the main house needs some work, mostly rotting woodwork on the front and back porches.

As I stood staring up at the elaborate columns on the front porch, Darwin peeked past the curtains on the windows. "Look! It's beautiful!" he said in an awestruck tone, and I smiled at what an old house lover he's become.

He was right - the interior was surprisingly beautiful considering the exterior's disrepair. Well-maintained hardwood floors and massive pocket doors in enormous rooms perfect for entertaining.

As we strolled under the huge magnolia back toward our yard, I felt a little nervous about who might buy this house. I'm already attached to it in its empty state, though I'd be happy to see someone give it the TLC it deserves.

Fortunately, Eutaw is a town that values its historic resources. It's a place generous with support for people seeking an authentic restoration.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home