1902 Victorian

Bringing our old house out of the disco era and back into the Victorian.

Home | Blog | Kitchen | Entry Hall | Attic | Living + Dining |
Bedrooms | Bathrooms | Exterior | Want List | Links | Town

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Pine all Mine

Today Darwin started installing the dishwasher. It's a good thing, too, because we had a sink overflowing with dishes. Tonight we gave in and washed them (Darwin washed; I rinsed and dried) because we can't install the new sink if the old one is full of dirty dried-goo dishes.

We have the perfect spot for the dishwasher next to the sink, but it required cutting out the front and floor of a cabinet and taking off the doors. Darwin did the cutting, while I held the flashlight steady.

The exciting part came when Darwin pried out the floor of the cabinet, and underneath was the original painted pine floor. At some point in the past - when the cabinets were being built - POs put down plywood over this original floor, then put brick-print vinyl flooring down over that. We didn't know what might be under this atrocious stuff. Now we know!



There was also a swathe of un-repainted baseboard in all its light blue glory, but the best treat was the floor. After Darwin vacuumed up all the sawdust and several dried-up dead bugs, I hunkered down with the flashlight to examine the multi-colored floor. I dabbed at the grey-green mess with a Clorox orange wipe (it was the nearest thing handy), and the brilliant colors the floor once was appeared. It had at least two layers of badly chipping paint - red and more recently, brown - and then a mysterious orangey color that may just be part of the wood? For all we know, that red paint could be the original color the floor was painted. *Sigh* I'm giddy as a schoolgirl over this find.



Now all my thoughts for the kitchen floor are turned in one direction - rip out the '70s stuff, restore the original stuff. Before, I figured the floor underneath was unusable and was planning to replace the vinyl with ... well, I didn't know what yet, though I had considered black and white or brown and white checkerboard. Now I want to paint the old wood floor brown again.

Darwin cautions that the wood floor will have multiple nail holes from the evil plywood, but I think it'll just give the whole thing character. I am of the spare-no-expense mindset on the subject of this floor, if nothing else. Darwin looked under the house and said the underside of the floor has no major damage, so when the time comes, we'll be tackling this project! I can't wait!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home