1902 Victorian

Bringing our old house out of the disco era and back into the Victorian.

Home | Blog | Kitchen | Entry Hall | Attic | Living + Dining |
Bedrooms | Bathrooms | Exterior | Want List | Links | Town

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Open or Closed?

We haven't done any real work on the kitchen in a while, but I felt the urge to get something accomplished today. (I call it "motivated", Darwin called me a "slave driver.")

We washed the cabinets with TSP, which produced a bucket full of disgusting brown water. Who knew our cabinets were so gross?

Then I primed what I could with some oil-based primer left over from my dollhouse construction, while Darwin took down the upper cabinet doors. We can't take off the lower cabinet doors indefinitely like this, because we'd have cats napping in our cookware.



We still need to sand and fill holes where the old hinges went, which is why the primer appears so sporadically placed. Believe it or not, Darwin has figured out a way to let us escape from the '70s hinges!

With the cabinet doors off, I started to think about the idea of open shelving. Darwin is not a fan of this idea. I played around in Photoshop and came up with two images: open and closed. I kinda messed up the closed-shelves one - it was a rush job - but you get the idea. Any opinions?

I'm leaving for New York City in the morning for a three-day business trip. I've never been there before, so I'm pretty excited.

More on the kitchen situation when I get back ...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for closed - then you don't have to worry about keeping the contents of your cabinets perfectly clean and straightened at all times. And I love the bin pulls on your lower drawers =)

Have fun in NY - the best city in the world! Make sure to see the city via a Subway daypass...about $7. Best way to travel.

Leah @ RaiseTheRanch.com

11:30 PM  
Blogger Jordana said...

When we moved in to our fixer-upper, it came with open upper shelving. I thought the main difficulty would be to keep it tidy looking, but we have found that to actually be relatively simple. While we like the way it looks and we like how easy it makes to find everything, I still plan to get cabinet doors as soon as we can, although we probably will get glass ones to maintain the open look. The shelves and all our dishes and things out in the open get absolutely disgusting with dust and cooking grease. And once the dust is stuck to the grease both are very hard to remove.

Best wishes in your decision.

Jordana
http://curmudgeonry.mu.nu

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're having fun in NYC - with some luck, the snow will hold off for you.

Both cabinet options look good, but if your kitchen is small then the open shelving would make it feel a little larger. I have seen some nice treatments using wainscoating or wallpaper behind the shelves as an added design element; that might be fun :)

Good luck - I <3 bin pulls, they look so damn purdy and are very functional as well.

~Mindy (http://www.onesmallspark.com/home/)

8:32 AM  
Blogger K said...

All good points. Thanks!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home