Go for the Gold?
This is why you don't make decisions based on Internet color samples. The colors are pretty different on the wall. The gold - the unanimous choice of blog-readers everywhere - turned out to be less rich, less yellow and the green turned out to be darker and bluer, more like a peacock than a green.
I put the gold on the wall first and loved it. Then I put the green on the wall, and suddenly the gold looked bland. But the green is too dark. The red living room is a pretty dark space, so I don't one one giant black hole of darkness.
Or is it too dark? The Victorians believed more important rooms deserved darker colors. So technically it would make sense to go with the green in the dining room and the gold in the hall.
I loved the commenters' suggestion of stripes, but I wonder if that would look too busy in a room with 12-foot ceilings. Those would be some seriously long stripes. Not to mention the added difficulty in painting them. But maybe if it was subtle ... gold and beige, as I think Gary suggested.
When the sample painting didn't produce an automatic winner, I went back to my old Benjamin Moore historic color palettes, and there were some lovely green contenders. Gold seems to be a more difficult color to nail down for the paint-concocters of the world. It can so easily look oogly.
I wanted to buy the paint today so this could be my weekend project, but now I'm thinking I should call the Eutaw Tribunal to come and give their opinions. Then again, maybe I should just "go for the gold."
I put the gold on the wall first and loved it. Then I put the green on the wall, and suddenly the gold looked bland. But the green is too dark. The red living room is a pretty dark space, so I don't one one giant black hole of darkness.
Or is it too dark? The Victorians believed more important rooms deserved darker colors. So technically it would make sense to go with the green in the dining room and the gold in the hall.
I loved the commenters' suggestion of stripes, but I wonder if that would look too busy in a room with 12-foot ceilings. Those would be some seriously long stripes. Not to mention the added difficulty in painting them. But maybe if it was subtle ... gold and beige, as I think Gary suggested.
When the sample painting didn't produce an automatic winner, I went back to my old Benjamin Moore historic color palettes, and there were some lovely green contenders. Gold seems to be a more difficult color to nail down for the paint-concocters of the world. It can so easily look oogly.
I wanted to buy the paint today so this could be my weekend project, but now I'm thinking I should call the Eutaw Tribunal to come and give their opinions. Then again, maybe I should just "go for the gold."
8 Comments:
What about one horizontal stripe of the gold? beige? around the whole top of the room, and then the green, or vice versa (like, imagine if you had a picture rail running around the whole room, paint above that one color, and below the other). A friend did this (she had the picture rail) and it looked AWESOME!
Gold is tough - the one we used was from Sherwin Williams, but I can't remember the name.
I did horizontal stripes on the bottom half of a hallway with a chair rail once. It was an apartment with very high ceilings, base molding and whatnot. I loved it. I did two shades of green so it was subtle, and then used the lighter green shade for the whole top wall. It is time consuming, but the effect is very nice.
Good luck!
Are one of the tiles loose? If so, take it tothe paint store and have them match it with one of those computers.
Are you gonna be stripping that mantle? And the other woodwork in this room? It will make a big difference...stripped woodwork and dark walls will make a really dark room [duh Jenne]
I read somewhere once that greens always go with wood tones. I like green. Your fireplace tiles look almost turqouise/sea green. Are there any places in the room [under electrical outlet covers, etc], that you can look to see what the original room color was? I removed an outlet cover in Rob's office and found a beautiful rose color on the original plaster. It might just be the color that room ends up. :)
Ooh, I like the horizontal stripe idea. There's no chair rail or picture rail in the room, so I could do a faux picture rail with a slightly different color above. Hmmm.
Oh, and good point about the woodwork. I'm not sure yet if we'll strip the woodwork in there. Depends if stripping the entry hall kills me first.
One side of one door and the pocket doors are already stripped (by POs); the rest is painted.
We decided not to strip any trim, but we plan to strip the doors upstairs at some point. One of our friends still has original, unstripped trim, and even though the walls are white in most of the rooms the house is just really, really dark. I can't imagine if they had bright colors.
Sorry, posted before I meant to- you could paint the walls, and then decide if you want to strip the trim after you live with the room color for awhile.
Sorry, posted before I meant to- you could paint the walls, and then decide if you want to strip the trim after you live with the room color for awhile.
Post a Comment
<< Home